Thursday, April 19, 2012

From American Garages to African Outfields

I think this is a good time to give you an update on what's been happening with my Alexandra Baseball project in the past few months. In fact, this is the first article in a series I'll be running the next several days to tell you about what we've accomplished so far, what our plans are, and where we still need help.

As some of you know, I stumbled upon this township baseball league shortly after moving here and have been trying to help them with their effort to grow and develop more players. Since the biggest obstacle seemed to be the lack of equipment (baseball gear is already hard to find in South Africa, but it is especially difficult when you have absolutely no money), we set as our first goal to get more of it. Like everything I've done here in Africa, it has taken longer than I envisioned, but when I now take a look at what we've collected so far, it is fairly impressive.

Alexandra boys with a batch of newly arrived pants

Read full article on Joburg Expat...